Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
Eight-week workshop, offered at Tampa Practice Center (27 CEUs*)
Introduction to MBSR Video with Jon Kabat-Zinn
Are you sensing dissatisfaction with some aspect of your life? Do you perceive yourself as having a problem that you are having difficulty overcoming? Are you longing to reclaim the fullness of life? Do you suffer in some way, physically, emotionally, mentally or spiritually? Among the difficulties people report when they come to our mindfulness classes are stress and anxiety, chronic pain or illness, depression, relationship difficulties, feeling out of control, and more.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD., is an eight-week program that systematically teaches mindfulness practices and therapeutic yoga to help reduce stress, increase well-being, and support health, healing and personal growth. The weekly meetings support participants in integrating the practices into their daily life.
Through this MBSR course, you will learn skills that can noticeably enhance your ability to:
- Take care of your own body and mind and enhance a sense of well-being
- Cope with stress, pain, illness, and the challenges of everyday life
- Deal with distressing events, such as grief and loss, with grace and a sense of inner balance
- Be fully present and alive as to enjoy life as it unfolds moment by moment
- Be connected to yourself and others
MBSR is not a cure for serious medical conditions and should not be considered a substitute for medical treatment. Yet, research consistently indicates that mindfulness training can complement traditional medical and psychological treatments and have significant therapeutic benefits for individuals experiencing stress, anxiety, fatigue, high blood pressure, depression, sleep disturbances, chronic pain, migraines, heart conditions, asthma, diabetes and other ailments.
The course schedule consists of eight weekly classes and one daylong class on a weekend. This highly participatory, practical course includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Inquiry exercises to support self-understanding and enhance awareness in everyday life
- Individually tailored instruction
- Group dialogue/activities
- Daily home assignments (30 to 45 minutes of personal practice)
- Guided audio files for home practice and a workbook
The course is life-affirming and requires an unwavering commitment to taking an active role in fostering one's own wellbeing. The instructors aim at supporting this journey by creating a safe, supportive, and deeply engaging learning environment that allows participants to seek, explore and inquire.
In this program, you will learn to:
- Articulate the key aspects of mindfulness as it relates to stress reduction, coping with pain and illness and enhancing well-being
- Differentiate MBSR from relaxation and techniques that may seem similar but are fundamentally and theoretically different in relating to life difficulties and enhancing one's own quality of life
- Apply mindfulness practices in both personal and professional settings as to foster greater effectiveness in relating to the demands of both settings
- Integrate mindfulness into social interaction with patients, colleagues, supervisors, family and friends to increase self-regulation and facilitate more effective and mindful communication
- Articulate the potential benefits of mindfulness and specifically of MBSR - mindfulness-based stress reduction- to educate patients and their families about the benefits of such programs in their own lives
- Implement brief mindfulness practices with patients/clients and family members as to foster resilience in the face of acute pain, anxiety and distress.
Please click here to visit the Mindfulness Institute Calendar for more information about upcoming MBSR classes and to register. We look forward to sharing this transformative program with you!
* Florida Community of Mindfulness, Inc. is approved by the Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling to provide continuing education credits through CE Provider # 50-14766. Total in-class time is 27 hours over 8 weeks.
Mindfulness Institute Grievance Procedure
Mail a statement describing your complaint to: Director of Continuing Education, 6501 N. Nebraska Avenue, Tampa, FL 33604.